Plex is a service That allows users to stream, all of their media files such as photos, music, videos, and their entire Media Library to any device. For this users are required to download the Plex app on their Smartphones and Tablets. Similar can take place even on televisions and Android TV boxes. In the year 2015 Plex for Roku has been launched officially.
Plex for Roku brought a lot of features to the television directly. This enabled users to stream their data directly from there Android or iOS devices to the TV via Plex for Roku.
There are certain features that are available for free via the Plex app but if you want to get your library that gets automatically systematize you need to pay a subscription fee.
Furthermore, you can connect almost all the cloud-based services like iCloud, Google Drive, and Dropbox with your Plex for Roku and can even stream the content via the cloud.
There is a lot more about Plex for Roku, which we will be discussing in the following sections. But first, let us know a little bit more about the features and functionality is of Plex for Roku.
What is Plex for Roku?
As it has been already mentioned that Plex for Roku is the most powerful tool that enables you to stream your personalized content directly from your device to your television. Plex for Roku is now amongst the top 5 best media streaming apps available.
Furthermore, you can organize your media libraries via your PC or your mobile device using the Plex for Roku.
Apart from steaming your media to different devices it also enables you to watch online content from certain well-reputed channels like BBC, comedy central, Vimeo and YouTube.
Initially, the Plex software is free to use although you need to pay for the Plex pass to get more features.
After going through the Xbox One and the PlayStation 4 variants of the Plex app, The interface of Plex for Roku looked more polished.
Plex for Roku acts as a media server that is setup on your computer or a NAS device, which then can be used to stream your movies, document files, music videos, documentaries, and photos.
So let’s move further a little bit and talk about the Peculiar feature of Plex for Roku in detail.
Features of Plex for Roku
- Ability to stream all the user’s data on any device be it a television. Computer, Android device or iOS device.
- You get the functionality of sharing movies, videos, music files, documents, and even photos.
- Apart from all this live TV and a DVR functionality is also embedded within Plex for Roku.
- All you need to do is to connect your existing Plex account with your Roku TV.
- With the latest updates, you can also stream your phone’s camera directly to your media devices.
- Apart from Roku, you can also use Plex for Roku via the Internet browser, Android tablets and Smartphones, iPhones and iPads, Amazon Fire TV stick and Apple TV.
- Initially, there is no subscription charge whatsoever but to Excess and gain more features you’ll have to pay a subscription fee of $4.99 per month.
- Side by side it organizes your Media Library also. Apart from this, you get entertainment related news on Plex for Roku daily.
- One thing is still missing, and that is the ability to schedule recordings via are the app version.
- The main advantage of Plex for Roku regarding the interface is, it is way faster than the Roku’s stock software.
- It has been found the found that the interface of Plex for Roku is even more intuitive than the one found on fire TV stick.
- You can connect as many Roku TV with your single Plex for Roku account.
- Now let’s move further and learn about installation on Roku and how you can use it.
Plex for Roku installation
Will break this step into three subsequent categories. First, we will talk about how you can setup your Plex account, which will be followed by installation Plex for Roku and at last we will demonstrate how to connect Plex for Roku and the server.
For accessing Plex for Roku first, you need to get the Plex account.
Creating Plex account:
- On your computer first, go to the Plex website and create your account there. The Plex media server will organize all the content that is stored on your network or computer that you are going to add your account.
- Now you’ve to download the Plex media server installation application. This application can be installed on Windows device, may come, Linux based system, or even on FreeBSD as well as NAS devices.
- While creating the account, you can choose to either pick the paid account is the free account.
- Instead of going for the paid account, in the beginning, get yourself a free account. Test to the fullest and if you think that you want to continue the service, get a premium account by paying the subscription fees.
- After installing the Plex server, you will be able to stream the content directly to your Roku TV device.
- Apart from Roku, as it has been already mentioned that you can also stream your content to other devices such as Android, iOS, Apple TV, and fire TV stick.
Installing Plex for Roku:
Note- Make sure to follow these steps carefully to prevent any discrepancies.
- First of all, open your Roku streaming device and navigate to the homepage.
- On the homepage, you will be able to see the streaming channel section.
- Go to the streaming channel section and then, now go to the search channel option located there.
- In the search box type ‘Plex for Roku’.
- Once research process gets finished, you will be able to Plex for Roku in the option meaning.
- Navigate to this option and click on the add button.
- This will add Plex for Roku to your existing list of channels.
So far so good, we have learned how we can install Plex for Roku and create a Plex account.
Here is how you can set up the Plex for Roku
- Go to the home screen and then to the channels menu.
- Now look for the Plex channel on your Roku device.
- Open the Plex channel; here you will be asked to enter your login credentials.
- Enter the credentials that you have used in the first step while we demonstrated how you could create your Plex account.
- Once you will enter the credentials of your Plex account the server will send a login code to your computer (email) or mobile device.
- Enter the obtained code to get access to your Plex server and account.
- After entering the correct code, you will be able to stream all of your data from your computer to your Roku TV.
Also, Read – Best Kodi Addons To Unleash Ultimate Enjoyment
Most common problems while using Plex for Roku
There are a lot of cases where because of improper configuration between the Plex for Roku and the computer that is acting as a server, the streaming fails.
To fix such issues make sure to follow these steps;
- It for the login credentials. Make sure that you have used the similar account both on the Plex for Roku and your computer server.
- Also, check for the status of your internet connection. Make sure to check the speed and bandwidth of your connection.
- You are also supposed to check whether the file that you have shared using the server is unprotected or locked state or not.
- If the files are locked, you need to remove the lock so that Plex for Roku can access it easily.
Final Words about Plex for Roku
Plex for Roku is by far one of the best methods to seeing your locally stored data directly to your Roku device. You just need to create your Plex account and then install the Plex for Roku on your Roku TV.
Once everything is done, you are required to login with your Plex account credentials. The similar should be done on the server side. You can use your computer as a server or instead of that you can also use a NAS server also.
Once you are done all of the streamed data will automatically get organized via the Plex for Roku app. with the great cross-platform functionality you can also use the similar method to install Plex on Fire TV stick, Apple TV, Android devices and iOS devices, and even on different smart TV’s
Let us know in the comments section what all features do you like about Plex for Roku. If you face any issues while setting up the account or installing the Plex for Roku, please let us know we will help you out. If you are aware of any of the methods to install Plex for Roku, you can share your methods with us too. Stay tuned for tips tricks and tutorials like this.